Last Updated on October 24, 2023 by Alterations Express Staff
Nowadays, dry cleaning is seen as a luxury service — something only doctors & lawyers, and white-collar businessmen and women to take advantage of. Especially after the past few years with many workplaces switching to hybrid in-office policies or going fully remote, we definitely don’t dress up for work like we used to. But what if we told you that dry cleaning wasn’t a service so out-of-your-league? That, in fact, dry cleaning is something you can (and should!) fit into your budget! And something that will do wonders for the life of your wardrobe!
We know you’re still a littttle apprehensive about taking this next step into adulting. So please read on to find out our five essential tips you need to know before visiting your local dry cleaner. Trust us — you’ll be a frequent customer at your dry cleaners in no time!
- Read Your Care Labels
- Know Your Stains
- Check for Discounts
- Shop Around for the Best Prices
- Drop-Off & Delivery Services
Read Your Care Labels
Let’s be honest — who really knows what those little symbols on the inside of your clothing mean anyway?! Although we recommend familiarizing yourself with these symbols and what they mean, you don’t need to memorize them to get your clothing dry-cleaned properly. Find a guide to care labels here.
But these little tags also provide a guide to your clothing and if it requires dry cleaning! Some items in your wardrobe are ‘Dry Clean Only’ items — these are perfect for a dry cleaner and essential for you to get professionally cleaned. However, we also recommend getting the following items dry-cleaned periodically:
- Coats & Jackets: We absolutely recommend getting your coats, jackets, and seasonal outerwear professionally dry-cleaned. A dry cleaner can press these garments to maintain their shape and quality while in storage during the warmer months. Then, when the colder months come around again, your outerwear is perfect and ready to wear for the season.
- Formalwear: Whether it be suits, tuxedos, or cocktail dresses, your formalwear NEEDS to be dry cleaned. Your most expensive and elegant clothing items typically also require dry cleaning, but if, for some reason, the care label still doesn’t recommend it, we still do. You’ll thank us later.
- Bedspreads, Blankets & Comforters: Think about it, you use your bedspreads, blankets, and comforters every single day. They deserve professional cleaning. Also, remember that you can wash these items (usually) at home, but your washer might not be big enough to clean bedspreads or comforters properly. A dry cleaner’s industrial washers are made to accommodate more oversized loads and household items.
Know Your Stains
We know this one might make you a little uncomfortable, but we promise you’ll thank us for it. When you visit your local dry cleaner, know where your clothing items are stained and with what substances. It’ll help your dry cleaner immensely in identifying and removing stains.
And also guarantee you’re pleased with your clothing when you pick it up. Pro tip: Make sure they mark where your stains and blemishes are on your clothing on drop-off. This way, they’ll never miss a thing when it comes to stains!
Check for Discounts
Before your visit, we recommend checking with your local dry cleaner for any special offers or discounts that they might be offering. Typically, dry cleaners run seasonal promotions throughout the year to help customers with the cost of dry cleaning. Take advantage of these seasonal savings during your visit! Psst.. Make sure to check out our dry cleaning promotions too.
Shop Around for the Best Prices
Pricing varies significantly between different dry cleaners, so shop for the best price for your visit. Sometimes dry cleaners post their pricing on their websites or Facebook page, but you can also call to get pricing on the most popular dry cleaning items. While you’re here, make sure to check out a price list of our most popular dry-cleaning items. Believe us; you won’t be disappointed.
Drop-Off & Delivery Services
Dry cleaners nowadays prioritize making services as convenient as possible for customers. So, make sure to check out your local dry cleaners’ express drop-off services and delivery services. Not all dry cleaners offer these perks, so if you’re looking for optimal convenience, you might have to shop around a bit. Nonetheless, dry cleaners in the modern era value your time as much as you do and want to make your visits as convenient as possible. Don’t forget to check out our Express Drop & Go Dry Cleaning service offered at all locations. Ask for a FREE Drop & Go bag to get started during your next visit.
We hope these tips helped you feel more comfortable taking the next step to becoming a dry cleaning customer! We certainly believe it’ll do wonders for your wardrobe.